Sunday, July 22, 2012

Shows!

So I survived the first Festival Weekend! But first, the other parts of my week...

We saw Truffaldino Says No at the Ashby stage. It is a play in the Comedia style, but updated for a modern audience. I very much enjoyed the show - the actors were brilliant and hilarious. My only problem was with the set for the play. There were a several good techniques used, but they were not ones that should have been used together. The set was done in partial perspective, which was just confusing to the eye, especially with the strange color choices. I was a little nervous at first, because of the set, but the show itself was fabulous. The story was a standard Comedia setup, but with a very very entertaining twist. I definitely recommend seeing it, just don't be scared off by the scenery!

The next night, we went to see Woody Guthrie's American Song at Freight & Salvage. This show was absolutely incredible. It reminded me of listening to A Prairie Home Companion. There were five actors, and several onstage musicians. There were bits of story throughout, but it was mainly an emotional journey told through song. I absolutely love folk music, and this was some of the best I've heard. I simply cannot say enough good things about the performance. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the Freight & Salvage was one of three theatres, which were right next to a book store and a comic store. I'm pretty sure I will have to move to Berkeley!

After the show, Luke and I went to the midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises. I love me some comics!

The weekend was full of shopping and crafting. We completed our collages for the first Festival Weekend, which went very well. I loved seeing Grounded on a stage in front of an audience that was new to it. It has more power every time I see it, and I am so grateful to be working with such a wonderfully talented and welcoming group.

No comments:

Post a Comment